Pappardelle al Cinghiale
About the Dish:
Pappardelle al Cinghiale is a classic Italian pasta dish featuring wide ribbon noodles (pappardelle) served with a flavorful wild boar (cinghiale) ragu sauce. The dish is hearty and rich, with tender pieces of slow-cooked wild boar in a savory tomato-based sauce. The pappardelle pasta provides the perfect base for the ragu sauce, allowing the flavors to meld together and coat each strand of pasta. This dish is a favorite among meat lovers and is often enjoyed during special occasions or as a comforting meal on a chilly evening.
|Wild boar meat||1 pound|
|Pappardelle pasta||1 pound|
|Tomato sauce||1 cup|
|Onion||1 medium, diced|
|Carrot||1 medium, diced|
|Celery||1 stalk, diced|
|Garlic||3 cloves, minced|
|Red wine||1/2 cup|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, carrot, and celery, as well as the minced garlic. Cook until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Step 2: Add the wild boar meat to the pot and season with salt and black pepper. Cook until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Step 3: Pour in the red wine and let it simmer until it has reduced by half. This will help to deglaze the pan and enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- Step 4: Stir in the tomato sauce and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it cook for at least 2 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily shredded.
- Step 5: While the meat is simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pappardelle pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Step 6: Once the meat is cooked, use two forks to shred it into smaller pieces. Stir the shredded meat into the sauce and let it simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Step 7: Serve the pappardelle al cinghiale by placing a portion of the cooked pasta onto a plate and topping it with a generous amount of the wild boar ragu sauce. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.