Moqueca de Peixe
About the Dish:
Moqueca de Peixe is a traditional Brazilian fish stew. It is a flavorful and aromatic dish made with white fish, coconut milk, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and various spices. The dish has a rich and creamy texture, with a perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess from the coconut milk and tomatoes. It is typically served with steamed rice and garnished with fresh cilantro. Moqueca de Peixe is a popular dish in the coastal regions of Brazil, where fresh fish is abundant.
|White fish fillets||1 pound|
|Coconut milk||1 can (13.5 oz)|
|Onion||1, thinly sliced|
|Green bell pepper||1, thinly sliced|
|Red bell pepper||1, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||3 cloves, minced|
|Fresh cilantro||1/4 cup, chopped|
|Ground cumin||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1/4 teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, season the fish fillets with salt, black pepper, and lime juice. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Step 2: In a large deep pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the minced garlic, diced tomatoes, and sliced bell peppers to the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
- Step 4: Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan to create space in the center. Place the marinated fish fillets in the center of the pan. Pour the coconut milk over the fish and vegetables.
- Step 5: Sprinkle ground cumin and paprika over the dish. Cover the pan and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and flaky.
- Step 6: Remove the pan from the heat and garnish the dish with fresh cilantro. Serve hot with steamed rice.