Callaloo and Saltfish
About the Dish:
Callaloo and Saltfish is a popular dish in Caribbean cuisine. The dish is made with callaloo leaves, which are similar to spinach, and salted codfish. The callaloo leaves are cooked down with onions, garlic, and spices, then mixed with the saltfish for a flavorful and nutritious meal. This dish is often served with rice or bread and is a staple in many Caribbean households.
|Callaloo leaves||2 cups|
|Saltfish (codfish)||8 oz|
|Scotch bonnet pepper||1|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: Rinse the saltfish in cold water to remove excess salt and soak it in water overnight or for at least 4 hours. Drain and shred the saltfish into small pieces.
- Step 2: In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper until the onions are translucent.
- Step 3: Add the callaloo leaves and cook until wilted. Stir in the shredded saltfish, thyme, and tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Step 4: Cover the pot and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are well combined and the saltfish is cooked through.
- Step 5: Serve the callaloo and saltfish hot with rice or bread.