About the Dish:
Jollof rice is a popular West African dish made with long-grain rice, tomatoes, onions, and a variety of spices. It is known for its vibrant red color and delicious flavor. Jollof rice is often served at special occasions, parties, and family gatherings. It is a versatile dish that can be customized with different proteins and vegetables, making it suitable for vegetarians or meat lovers. The dish is cooked in one pot, allowing the flavors to meld together and creating a rich and aromatic meal. Jollof rice is a staple in many Nigerian households and is enjoyed by people around the world.
|Long-grain rice||2 cups|
|Red bell pepper||1|
|Scotch bonnet pepper||1|
|Vegetable oil||1/4 cup|
|Chicken or beef stock||2 cups|
|Curry powder||1 tablespoon|
- Step 1: Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- Step 2: In a blender, blend the tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, and ginger until smooth.
- Step 3: In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the blended tomato mixture and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 4: Add the curry powder, thyme, paprika, bay leaves, and salt to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Step 5: Add the rinsed rice to the pot and stir until all the grains are coated with the tomato mixture.
- Step 6: Pour in the chicken or beef stock and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
- Step 7: Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.