About the Dish:
Yassa Poulet is a traditional Senegalese dish made with marinated chicken, caramelized onions, and a tangy lemon sauce. This flavorful dish is often served with rice or couscous and is popular across West Africa. The chicken is marinated in a mixture of lemon juice, mustard, and spices, which gives it a deliciously tangy flavor. The onions are cooked slowly until they are soft and caramelized, adding a sweet and savory element to the dish. The lemon sauce is made by combining the marinade with additional lemon juice, chicken broth, and butter, creating a rich and tangy sauce that pairs perfectly with the chicken and onions. Yassa Poulet is a hearty and satisfying dish that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
|Vegetable oil||3 tablespoons|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Chicken broth||1 cup|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the juice of 2 lemons, mustard, vegetable oil, garlic, thyme, and black pepper. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and mix well to coat them in the marinade. Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or overnight for even more flavor.
- Step 2: Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the marinated chicken, reserving the marinade. Cook the chicken until it is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Step 3: In the same pan, add the sliced onions and cook them over medium heat until they are soft and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Add the reserved marinade to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Step 4: Return the chicken to the pan and add the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Step 5: While the chicken is cooking, squeeze the juice of the remaining 2 lemons into a small saucepan. Add the butter to the saucepan and heat over medium heat until the butter has melted.
- Step 6: Once the chicken is cooked, pour the lemon butter sauce over the chicken and onions in the pan. Stir to coat the chicken and onions in the sauce.
- Step 7: Serve the Yassa Poulet hot with rice or couscous. Enjoy!