Mapo Tofu Recipe
About the Dish:
Mapo Tofu is a popular Chinese dish that originated from the Sichuan province. It is a spicy and flavorful dish made with silken tofu, ground meat (usually pork or beef), and a spicy sauce. The dish is known for its signature combination of numbing Sichuan peppercorns and spicy chili bean paste, which give it a unique and addictive flavor. The texture of the tofu and the richness of the sauce make it a satisfying and comforting dish that is enjoyed by many.
|Silken Tofu||1 block|
|Chili Bean Paste||2 tablespoons|
|Soy Sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Chicken Stock||1/2 cup|
|Ginger||1 tablespoon, minced|
|Scallions||3, finely chopped|
|Sichuan Peppercorns||1 teaspoon|
|Vegetable Oil||2 tablespoons|
- Step 1: Prepare the tofu by cutting it into small cubes and setting it aside.
- Step 2: In a wok or large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns. Stir-fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Step 3: Add the ground pork to the pan and cook until browned, breaking it up into small pieces with a spatula.
- Step 4: Add the chili bean paste and stir-fry for another minute.
- Step 5: Add the soy sauce and chicken stock to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Step 6: Carefully add the cubed tofu to the pan and gently stir to coat it with the sauce. Be careful not to break up the tofu.
- Step 7: Dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of water and then add it to the pan. Stir well to thicken the sauce.
- Step 8: Let the dish simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Step 9: Garnish with chopped scallions and serve hot.