General Tso’s Chicken
About the Dish:
General Tso’s Chicken is a popular Chinese-American dish that features crispy chicken pieces coated in a sweet and tangy sauce. This flavorful dish is known for its combination of spicy, sweet, and savory flavors. The chicken is typically deep-fried to achieve a crispy texture, and the sauce is made with soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, and chili peppers. The origins of General Tso’s Chicken are disputed, with several restaurants claiming to have created the dish. It is believed to be named after General Tso Tsung-tang, a Chinese military officer, although there is no evidence to support this claim. Regardless of its origins, General Tso’s Chicken has become one of the most popular Chinese dishes in the United States. This dish is best served hot and pairs well with steamed rice or fried rice. It is a perfect choice for those who enjoy bold flavors and a little bit of heat. With its crispy chicken and delicious sauce, General Tso’s Chicken is sure to satisfy your cravings for Chinese cuisine.
|Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless||1 pound|
|Oil for frying||As needed|
|Green onions, chopped||4|
|Dried red chili peppers, chopped||4|
|Garlic cloves, minced||4|
|Ginger, grated||1 tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1/4 cup|
|Rice vinegar||1/4 cup|
- Step 1: In a bowl, combine the chicken thighs, cornstarch, and beaten egg. Mix well to coat the chicken evenly. Heat oil in a deep frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken pieces in batches until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Step 2: In the same pan, add the chopped green onions, dried red chili peppers, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Stir-fry for a minute until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the ingredients.
- Step 3: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, and water to make the sauce. Pour the sauce into the pan with the stir-fried ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Step 4: Add the fried chicken pieces to the pan and toss them in the sauce until they are fully coated. Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Step 5: Serve the General Tso’s Chicken hot with steamed rice or fried rice. Garnish with additional chopped green onions, if desired. Enjoy!