Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Surprise
About the Dish:
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Surprise is a delicious and nutritious twist on the classic Shepherd’s Pie. This hearty dish is packed with flavor and loaded with wholesome ingredients. The base of the dish is made with a medley of ground meat, vegetables, and aromatic spices, while the top is covered with a layer of mashed sweet potatoes for an added touch of sweetness. Every bite is a delightful combination of savory and sweet flavors, making this dish a crowd favorite.
|Ground beef||1 lb|
|Onion||1 medium, chopped|
|Carrot||2 large, diced|
|Celery||2 stalks, diced|
|Garlic||3 cloves, minced|
|Tomato paste||2 tablespoons|
|Beef broth||1 cup|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Frozen peas||1 cup|
|Sweet potatoes||2 lbs, peeled and cubed|
|Butter||4 tablespoons, divided|
|Salt||1 teaspoon, divided|
|Pepper||1/2 teaspoon, divided|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the chopped onion, diced carrot, diced celery, and minced garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
- Step 2: Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the ground beef to the empty space. Cook the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Step 3: Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Step 4: Stir in the frozen peas and cook for another 2 minutes, until the peas are heated through. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Step 5: Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring water to a boil and add the cubed sweet potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Drain the sweet potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Step 6: Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, milk, salt, and pepper to the cooked sweet potatoes. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the sweet potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Step 7: Grease a baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Transfer the meat and vegetable mixture from the skillet into the baking dish, spreading it out evenly. Top the mixture with the mashed sweet potatoes, smoothing the surface with a spatula.
- Step 8: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the sweet potato topping is lightly golden and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
- Step 9: Remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve hot as a main course, and enjoy the delicious Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Surprise!