About the Dish:
Ful Medames is a traditional Egyptian dish made with cooked fava beans. It is a popular breakfast dish in Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries. The dish is typically served with a variety of toppings and accompaniments, such as olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, diced tomatoes, and fresh herbs. The beans are slow-cooked until they are soft and creamy, and then flavored with garlic, cumin, and other spices. Ful Medames is a nutritious and filling dish that is perfect for starting your day.
|Dried fava beans||1 cup|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Lemon juice||2 tablespoons|
|Diced tomatoes||1/2 cup|
|Fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro)||for garnish|
- Step 1: Rinse the fava beans and soak them in water overnight.
- Step 2: Drain the soaked beans and transfer them to a large pot. Add enough water to cover the beans, along with the garlic cloves and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
- Step 3: Drain the beans, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Mash the beans using a fork or potato masher, adding a bit of the cooking liquid if needed to achieve a creamy consistency.
- Step 4: In a small pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mashed beans and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 5: Serve the ful medames hot, topped with lemon juice, tahini, diced tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Enjoy!