About the Dish:
Vada Pav is a popular street food in Mumbai, India. It consists of a spicy potato filling called vada sandwiched between a pav bun and served with chutney. The vada is made from mashed potatoes mixed with spices and herbs, dipped in a gram flour batter, and deep-fried until crispy. The pav bun is slightly toasted and spread with a chutney made from garlic, coriander, and other spices. Vada Pav is known for its delicious and bold flavors, and it’s a favorite snack among locals and tourists alike.
|Gram flour (besan)||1 cup|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red chili powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||A handful|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp|
|Oil||For deep frying|
- Step 1: Boil the potatoes until they are tender. Peel and mash them in a bowl.
- Step 2: In a blender, grind the green chilies, ginger, and garlic into a smooth paste. Add this paste to the mashed potatoes.
- Step 3: Next, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, and salt to the mashed potatoes. Mix well to combine.
- Step 4: Heat oil in a deep pan for frying. Meanwhile, shape the potato mixture into small round patties or vadas.
- Step 5: Dip each vada into the gram flour batter and carefully place it in the hot oil. Fry until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Step 6: Drain the vadas on a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- Step 7: Slice the pav buns horizontally and apply the garlic chutney on the inner sides.
- Step 8: Place a vada between the pav buns and gently press to make a sandwich.
- Step 9: Serve hot with more chutney or ketchup.