Red Beans and Rice
About the Dish:
Red beans and rice is a classic Louisiana Creole dish. It is a hearty and flavorful combination of red kidney beans, vegetables, and spices, served over steamed white rice. This dish has its roots in West African and Caribbean cuisine, and it has become a staple in Southern and Cajun cooking. Red beans and rice is often enjoyed as a main course, and it is known for its rich and satisfying flavor.
|Dried Red Kidney Beans||2 cups|
|Green Bell Pepper, diced||1|
|Celery, diced||2 stalks|
|Garlic, minced||4 cloves|
|Smoked Sausage, sliced||1 pound|
|Creole Seasoning||2 tablespoons|
|Thyme, dried||1 teaspoon|
|Black Pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cayenne Pepper||1/4 teaspoon|
|Steamed White Rice||4 cups|
- Step 1: Rinse the dried red kidney beans and soak them in water overnight.
- Step 2: In a large pot, heat some oil over medium heat and sauté the diced onion, green bell pepper, celery, and minced garlic until they become soft and translucent.
- Step 3: Add the sliced smoked sausage to the pot and cook until it is browned.
- Step 4: Drain the soaked red kidney beans and add them to the pot. Stir in the bay leaves, creole seasoning, dried thyme, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Step 5: Pour in 6 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 2-3 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- Step 6: Serve the red beans and sausage over steamed white rice. Enjoy!