Tom Yum Soup
About the Dish:
Tom Yum Soup is a spicy and sour Thai soup that is packed with aromatic flavors. It is made with a combination of lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, mushrooms, and shrimp or chicken. This soup is known for its refreshing and tangy taste that tantalizes the taste buds. It is often served as an appetizer or as a main course with steamed rice. Tom Yum Soup is a popular dish in Thai cuisine and is well-loved for its bold and vibrant flavors.
|Kaffir Lime Leaves||5 leaves|
|Shrimp or Chicken||1/2 pound|
- Step 1: Prepare all the ingredients for the Tom Yum Soup. Cut the lemongrass into small pieces and bruise them with the back of a knife to release the flavors. Tear the kaffir lime leaves roughly. Slice the galangal into thin slices. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Peel and devein the shrimp or cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Step 2: In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and galangal. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes to infuse the flavors into the water.
- Step 3: Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes until they are tender.
- Step 4: Add the shrimp or chicken to the soup and cook until they are fully cooked.
- Step 5: Season the soup with fish sauce, lime juice, and chili paste according to your taste preference. Adjust the amount of seasoning to achieve the perfect balance of spicy and sour flavors.
- Step 6: Serve the Tom Yum Soup hot garnished with fresh cilantro leaves. Enjoy it as an appetizer or as a main course with steamed rice.