Kung Pao Chicken
About the Dish:
Kung Pao Chicken is a classic Chinese dish that features tender chicken pieces stir-fried with peanuts and vegetables in a flavorful spicy sauce. This dish is known for its perfect balance of sweet, spicy, and savory flavors. The chicken is cooked until golden brown and then tossed with a sauce made from soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and chili paste. The addition of peanuts and vegetables like bell peppers and green onions adds crunch and freshness to the dish. Kung Pao Chicken is typically served over steamed white rice.
|Chicken breast, boneless and skinless||2 cups|
|Roasted peanuts||1/2 cup|
|Bell peppers, diced||1 cup|
|Green onions, chopped||1/2 cup|
|Soy sauce||1/4 cup|
|Rice vinegar||2 tablespoons|
|Chili paste||1 tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 tablespoons|
- Step 1: In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chili paste, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Step 2: Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt.
- Step 3: Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown and cooked through.
- Step 4: Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 5: In the same skillet, add diced bell peppers and cook until slightly tender.
- Step 6: Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet, along with the chopped green onions and roasted peanuts.
- Step 7: Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables, stirring well to coat everything evenly.
- Step 8: Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken and vegetables are fully coated.
- Step 9: Remove from heat and serve the Kung Pao Chicken over steamed white rice.