About the Dish:
Sausage sizzle is a popular Australian dish that consists of grilled or barbecued sausages served on a slice of bread along with onions, tomato sauce, and sometimes mustard. It is commonly served at fundraisers, sporting events, and community gatherings. The sausages used in a sausage sizzle can be beef, pork, or a combination of both, often flavored with herbs and spices. The dish is known for its simplicity and delicious flavors, making it a favorite among Australians of all ages.
|Sliced bread||4 slices|
|Tomato sauce||4 tablespoons|
|Mustard (optional)||2 tablespoons|
- Step 1: Preheat the grill or barbecue to medium heat.
- Step 2: Place the sausages on the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are browned and cooked through.
- Step 3: While the sausages are cooking, slice the onions and set aside.
- Step 4: Once the sausages are cooked, remove them from the grill and set aside to rest for a few minutes.
- Step 5: In the meantime, lightly toast the slices of bread.
- Step 6: Slice each sausage in half lengthwise, leaving them attached at one end.
- Step 7: Place a sausage on a slice of bread and top with sliced onions.
- Step 8: Drizzle tomato sauce over the sausage and onions.
- Step 9: Add mustard if desired.
- Step 10: Serve immediately and enjoy!