About the Dish:
Pelmeni are a traditional Russian dish consisting of small dumplings filled with minced meat, usually a mixture of beef and pork. They are similar to Italian tortellini or Chinese jiaozi. Pelmeni are typically served with sour cream or butter and can be enjoyed as a main course or as an appetizer. These dumplings are loved for their savory flavor and comforting texture. They are a staple in Russian cuisine and are often made in large quantities and frozen for later use.
|Black Pepper||1/2 tsp|
- Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and ground pork. Finely chop the onion and add it to the meat mixture. Season with salt and black pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Step 2: In another bowl, whisk together flour, eggs, and water to make the dough. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Step 3: Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out circles of dough. Place a small amount of the meat filling in the center of each circle.
- Step 4: Fold the dough in half to enclose the filling, and then pinch the edges together to seal the pelmeni. Repeat this process with the remaining dough and filling.
- Step 5: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pelmeni to the boiling water and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until they float to the surface. Remove the cooked pelmeni from the water using a slotted spoon.
- Step 6: Serve the pelmeni hot with sour cream or melted butter. Enjoy!