About the Dish:
Pelmeni is a traditional Russian dish that consists of small dumplings filled with minced meat, usually beef or pork. These dumplings are similar to Italian tortellini or Chinese jiaozi. Pelmeni is a beloved comfort food in Russia and is often served with sour cream, butter, or vinegar. The dough is made with flour, eggs, water, and salt, while the filling is a simple mixture of ground meat, onions, salt, and pepper. Pelmeni can be boiled, fried, or baked, and they are typically served hot. This recipe makes around 60 pelmeni and can be frozen for later use.
|All-purpose flour||2 cups|
|Ground beef||1 pound|
|Onion, finely chopped||1 medium|
|Black pepper||1/2 tsp|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and crack the eggs into it. Gradually add the water and mix with a fork until a dough forms. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Step 2: In another bowl, mix together the ground beef, chopped onion, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
- Step 3: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Use a round cookie cutter or a small glass to cut circles from the dough.
- Step 4: Place a small amount of the meat filling in the center of each dough circle. Fold the circle in half and pinch the edges together to seal, creating a half-moon shape. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Step 5: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pelmeni and cook for about 5 minutes, until they float to the surface. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked pelmeni to a serving dish.
- Step 6: Serve the pelmeni hot with sour cream, melted butter, or vinegar, according to your preference. Enjoy!