Köttbullar (Swedish Meatballs)
About the Dish:
Köttbullar, or Swedish meatballs, are a traditional Swedish dish made with ground beef or a mix of ground beef and pork. They are typically small, round meatballs that are seasoned with spices and served with lingonberry sauce, creamy gravy, and mashed potatoes. These tender and flavorful meatballs are a staple in Swedish cuisine and are enjoyed both as a main course or as a part of a smorgasbord.
|Onion, finely chopped||1|
|Garlic Powder||1 tsp|
|Black Pepper||1/4 tsp|
|All-Purpose Flour||2 tbsp|
|Beef Broth||2 cups|
|Heavy Cream||1/2 cup|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, finely chopped onion, egg, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. Combine well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Step 2: Shape the mixture into small, round meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Step 3: In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the meatballs to the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Remove the meatballs from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 4: In the same skillet, add the all-purpose flour and stir for about 1 minute, until the flour is lightly browned. Gradually whisk in the beef broth, scraping the bottom of the skillet to release any browned bits.
- Step 5: Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Step 6: Return the meatballs to the skillet and simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Serve hot with lingonberry sauce, creamy gravy, and mashed potatoes.