About the Dish:
Jollof rice is a popular West African dish that is enjoyed by many. It is a flavorful one-pot rice dish cooked in a tomato-based sauce, with the addition of various spices, vegetables, and sometimes meat or fish. Jollof rice is known for its vibrant red color and delicious taste. It is a staple dish in many West African countries and is often served at parties, celebrations, and everyday meals.
|Red Bell Pepper||1|
|Scotch Bonnet Pepper||1|
|Vegetable Oil||1/4 cup|
|Chicken or Beef Stock||2 cups|
|Curry Powder||1 teaspoon|
- Step 1: Rinse the rice thoroughly and set aside. In a blender, blend the tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, and ginger until smooth.
- Step 2: Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the blended tomato mixture and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 3: Stir in the curry powder, thyme, paprika, bay leaves, and salt. Cook for another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Step 4: Add the rinsed rice to the pot and stir well to coat it with the tomato mixture. Pour in the chicken or beef stock and bring to a boil.
- Step 5: Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Step 6: Remove the bay leaves and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve hot and enjoy!