About the Dish:
Chicken Tagine is a traditional Moroccan dish that is full of flavor and spices. It is made with succulent chicken, vegetables, and a combination of aromatic spices like cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. The dish gets its name from the clay pot in which it is traditionally cooked, called a tagine. The chicken is marinated in a mixture of spices, garlic, and lemon juice to enhance its flavor. Then it is browned in a hot skillet to seal in the juices. The vegetables, such as onions, carrots, and potatoes, are sautéed until they are slightly caramelized. The chicken and vegetables are then layered in the tagine pot and cooked together until the chicken is tender and the flavors have melded together. The result is a rich and aromatic dish that is both comforting and delicious. The tender chicken is infused with the flavors of the spices and the vegetables, creating a tantalizing taste experience. It is typically served with couscous or crusty bread to soak up the flavorful sauce.
|Fresh ginger||1-inch piece|
|Ground cumin||1 tsp|
|Ground coriander||1 tsp|
|Ground cinnamon||1/2 tsp|
|Chicken broth||1 cup|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: In a bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt, black pepper, minced garlic, and the juice of half a lemon. Mix well to form a paste. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and coat them evenly with the spice mixture. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken thighs to the skillet and brown them on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Once browned, remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 3: In the same skillet, add sliced onions and cook until they become soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and grated ginger and cook for another minute. Then add the sliced carrots and potatoes and cook until they start to brown slightly.
- Step 4: Return the browned chicken thighs to the skillet and pour in the chicken broth. Squeeze the juice of the remaining half lemon over the chicken and vegetables. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the tagine simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors have melded together.
- Step 5: Serve the chicken tagine hot with couscous or crusty bread to soak up the flavorful sauce. Enjoy!