About the Dish:
Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish made with layers of phyllo pastry filled with a mixture of spinach, feta cheese, and herbs. The combination of flavors creates a savory and delicious pie that is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. The phyllo pastry adds a crispy texture to the dish, while the spinach and feta filling provides a creamy and tangy taste. Spanakopita is a popular dish in Greek cuisine and is often served as an appetizer or as part of a mezze platter.
|Phyllo pastry sheets||12 sheets|
|Olive oil||1/4 cup|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Step 2: In a large bowl, crumble the feta cheese. Add the dill, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Add the cooked spinach mixture to the bowl and stir until well combined.
- Step 3: Brush a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Lay a sheet of phyllo pastry in the bottom of the dish and brush with olive oil. Repeat with 6 more sheets, brushing each sheet with olive oil.
- Step 4: Spread the spinach and feta mixture evenly over the phyllo pastry. Top with the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each sheet with olive oil.
- Step 5: Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.