About the Dish:
Borscht is a traditional Eastern European soup that is known for its vibrant red color and rich flavors. It is made with beets, which give it its distinct hue, as well as other vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. The soup is typically served hot and can be enjoyed as a hearty appetizer or a main course.
|Tomato Paste||2 tablespoons|
|Vegetable Broth||4 cups|
|Dill||1/4 cup, chopped|
- Step 1: Peel and grate the beets, carrots, and potatoes. Finely chop the cabbage, onion, and garlic.
- Step 2: In a large pot, heat some oil and sauté the onions and garlic until fragrant. Add the grated beets and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Step 3: Add the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes to the pot and sauté for another 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and vinegar.
- Step 4: Pour in the vegetable broth and add the bay leaves. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Step 5: Remove the bay leaves and season the soup with salt to taste. Stir in the chopped dill.
- Step 6: Serve the borscht hot, garnished with additional dill if desired.