About the Dish:
Rouladen is a classic German dish made with thinly sliced beef, pickles, onions, and mustard. The beef is rolled up with the other ingredients, secured with toothpicks, and then browned in a skillet before being braised in a flavorful sauce. The result is a tender and juicy roll filled with savory flavors that is often served with mashed potatoes and red cabbage. Rouladen is a hearty and satisfying dish that is perfect for a cozy family meal or special occasion.
|Thinly sliced beef||4 pieces|
- Step 1: Lay the thinly sliced beef flat on a cutting board. Spread a tablespoon of mustard on each slice. Place a pickle spear and a few slices of onion on top of each slice.
- Step 2: Roll up each slice of beef tightly, securing with toothpicks to keep the roll in place. Season the rolls with salt and pepper.
- Step 3: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef rolls to the skillet and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the rolls from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 4: In the same skillet, add the remaining onion slices and cook until softened. Add 1 cup of beef broth and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Return the beef rolls to the skillet and bring the broth to a simmer.
- Step 5: Cover the skillet and cook the rouladen for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Step 6: Remove the rouladen from the skillet and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve with the sauce from the skillet and enjoy!