About the Dish:
Köttbullar, also known as Swedish meatballs, are a traditional Swedish dish made of ground beef or a mixture of ground beef and pork. They are typically seasoned with a combination of spices such as allspice, nutmeg, and black pepper. The meatballs are cooked in a rich and creamy gravy and are often served with lingonberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and pickled cucumbers. Köttbullar are a popular dish in Sweden and are enjoyed by people of all ages. They are perfect for a comforting and hearty meal.
|Onion, finely chopped||1|
|Black Pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|All-Purpose Flour||2 tablespoons|
|Beef Broth||2 cups|
|Heavy Cream||1 cup|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, finely chopped onion, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, allspice, nutmeg, black pepper, and salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Step 2: Shape the mixture into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Step 3: In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the skillet and set them aside.
- Step 4: In the same skillet, add the all-purpose flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Gradually pour in the beef broth, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Step 5: Stir in the heavy cream and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 6: Return the meatballs to the skillet and simmer in the sauce for 10-15 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- Step 7: Serve the köttbullar hot with lingonberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and pickled cucumbers. Enjoy!