Toad in the Hole
About the Dish:
Toad in the Hole is a classic British dish consisting of sausages cooked in a Yorkshire pudding batter. The sausages are nestled into the batter, which puffs up and forms a crispy shell around the sausages as it bakes. The dish is typically served with onion gravy and vegetables, making it a hearty and comforting meal. The origins of the name Toad in the Hole are unclear, but it is believed to have been named for its resemblance to a toad sticking its head out of a hole. The dish dates back to the 18th century and has remained popular in British cuisine ever since. To prepare Toad in the Hole, you will need high-quality pork sausages and a simple Yorkshire pudding batter made from flour, eggs, and milk. The sausages are cooked in a hot oven until browned, then the batter is poured over them. The dish is then returned to the oven and baked until the batter has risen and turned golden brown. The result is a delicious combination of crispy, golden batter and juicy sausages. Toad in the Hole is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It can be served with a variety of accompaniments, such as mashed potatoes, peas, or roasted vegetables. The dish is a comforting and satisfying meal that is sure to please the whole family.
|All-purpose flour||1 cup|
|Vegetable oil||2 tbsp|
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Place the sausages in a roasting pan and drizzle with vegetable oil. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until browned.
- Step 2: While the sausages are baking, prepare the Yorkshire pudding batter. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, eggs, milk, and salt until smooth and well combined.
- Step 3: Remove the roasting pan from the oven and carefully pour the Yorkshire pudding batter over the sausages. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, or until the batter has risen and turned golden brown.
- Step 4: While the Toad in the Hole is baking, prepare a simple onion gravy by sautéing sliced onions in a pan until golden brown. Add beef or vegetable stock and simmer until thickened.
- Step 5: Serve the Toad in the Hole hot with the onion gravy and your choice of sides, such as mashed potatoes and peas. Enjoy!