About the Dish:
B’stilla is a traditional Moroccan dish with layers of flaky phyllo pastry, savory spiced meat filling, and a dusting of powdered sugar and cinnamon on top. The combination of flavors and textures in this dish is truly unique and delicious. It is often served as a special dish during festive occasions.
|Phyllo pastry sheets||6 sheets|
|Chicken or lamb||500g|
|Ground cinnamon||1 teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 teaspoon|
|Ground turmeric||1 teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||For dusting|
- Step 1: In a large pan, heat some oil and sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic until fragrant. Add the ground cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, coriander, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Step 2: Add the chicken or lamb to the pan and cook until browned. Add water to cover the meat and simmer gently until it is tender and cooked through. Remove the meat from the pan and shred it into small pieces.
- Step 3: Melt the butter in a separate pan and add the shredded meat. Cook for a few minutes, then add the chopped almonds. Stir well to combine.
- Step 4: Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a baking dish with butter or oil.
- Step 5: Layer the phyllo pastry sheets in the baking dish, brushing each sheet with melted butter before adding the next one. Make sure the edges of the sheets hang over the sides of the dish.
- Step 6: Spoon the meat and almond mixture onto the phyllo pastry sheets and spread it evenly.
- Step 7: Fold the overhanging phyllo pastry sheets over the filling, creating a sealed pie. Brush the top with melted butter.
- Step 8: Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- Step 9: Remove the b’stilla from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before dusting it with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Step 10: Serve the b’stilla warm as a main dish or as an appetizer. Enjoy!