About the Dish:
Souvlaki is a popular Greek dish consisting of skewered and grilled pieces of meat (usually pork, but can also be chicken, lamb, or beef) served with pita bread, tzatziki sauce, and a variety of garnishes. The meat is marinated in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs, which helps to tenderize it and infuse it with flavor. The skewers are then grilled until the meat is cooked through and has a delicious charred crust. Souvlaki is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a main course, served with a side of Greek salad and roasted potatoes, or as a quick and tasty street food snack.
|Pork (or any meat of your choice)||1 pound|
|Olive oil||1/4 cup|
|Lemon juice||2 tablespoons|
|Garlic cloves, minced||4|
|Dried oregano||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1/4 teaspoon|
|Pita bread||4 pieces|
|Tzatziki sauce||1 cup|
|Garnishes (e.g. tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, parsley)||as desired|
- Step 1: In a bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to make the marinade.
- Step 2: Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and place them in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the meat and toss to coat. Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
- Step 3: Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Thread the marinated meat onto skewers, leaving a small space between each piece. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Step 4: Grill the skewers for about 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and has a nice charred crust.
- Step 5: While the meat is grilling, warm the pita bread on the grill or in a pan.
- Step 6: Serve the souvlaki on the warm pita bread, topped with tzatziki sauce and garnishes of your choice. Enjoy hot!