About the Dish:
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish consisting of layers of eggplant, ground meat (typically lamb or beef), and a creamy béchamel sauce. It is then baked to perfection, resulting in a delicious and hearty meal. The dish is flavorful and rich, with the eggplant adding a unique texture and taste. Moussaka is a popular dish in Greece and is enjoyed by many around the world.
|Ground lamb or beef||1 pound|
|Onion, chopped||1 medium|
|Garlic, minced||3 cloves|
|Canned tomatoes, crushed||1 can (14 ounces)|
|Red wine||1/2 cup|
|Béchamel sauce||2 cups|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Sprinkle salt on both sides of the slices and let them sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant slices and pat them dry.
- Step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook until they become translucent. Add the ground meat and cook until it is browned. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, red wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. Simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Step 3: In a separate saucepan, prepare the béchamel sauce. Melt butter over medium heat, then whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in salt and pepper.
- Step 4: In a greased baking dish, arrange a layer of eggplant slices. Spread a layer of the meat sauce on top. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of eggplant slices. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top.
- Step 5: Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Allow the moussaka to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!