About the Dish:
Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that consists of layers of pasta, meat sauce, cheese, and béchamel sauce. It is a hearty and indulgent dish that is perfect for feeding a crowd or for making ahead and enjoying throughout the week. The pasta layers are typically made with lasagna noodles, which are wide and flat. The meat sauce is usually made with ground beef or sausage, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and a variety of herbs and spices. The cheese layers are typically made with a combination of mozzarella, ricotta, and Parmesan cheese. The béchamel sauce is a creamy white sauce made with butter, flour, and milk. The layers are assembled in a baking dish and then baked in the oven until hot and bubbly. The result is a delicious and comforting dish that is sure to please everyone.
|Lasagna noodles||12 sheets|
|Ground beef||1 pound|
|Garlic||3 cloves, minced|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 ounces|
|Dried basil||1 teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1 teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|Mozzarella cheese||2 cups, shredded|
|Ricotta cheese||1 cup|
|Parmesan cheese||1/2 cup, grated|
|All-purpose flour||2 tablespoons|
- Step 1: Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Step 2: In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the crushed tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to create a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk until the mixture thickens and comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Step 4: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Step 5: In a 9×13-inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of the meat sauce. Layer 4 lasagna noodles on top, followed by a layer of the meat sauce, a layer of the béchamel sauce, and a sprinkle of the three cheeses. Repeat this layering process two more times, ending with a layer of the cheeses on top.
- Step 6: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the lasagna is heated through.
- Step 7: Remove from the oven and let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the layers to set and make it easier to serve.
- Step 8: Serve hot and enjoy!