About the Dish:
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that is often made with eggplant and ground meat. It is a hearty and flavorful casserole that combines layers of meat, vegetables, and a creamy béchamel sauce. The dish is typically baked until golden and bubbly, creating a deliciously comforting meal. Moussaka is enjoyed by many and is a staple in Greek cuisine.
|Ground lamb or beef||1 pound|
|Onion||1 large, chopped|
|Garlic||3 cloves, minced|
|Canned tomatoes||1 can (14 ounces)|
|Potatoes||2 medium, boiled and sliced|
|Béchamel sauce||2 cups|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds and lightly salt them. Let them sit for 30 minutes to remove excess moisture. Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry.
- Step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté until softened. Add ground lamb or beef and cook until browned. Stir in canned tomatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 3: In a separate pot, prepare the béchamel sauce by melting butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and season with salt and black pepper.
- Step 4: Layer the sliced potatoes on the bottom of a greased baking dish. Top with a layer of eggplant slices. Spread a layer of the meat mixture on top. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of eggplant.
- Step 5: Pour the béchamel sauce evenly over the top layer of eggplant. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbling. Let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!