About the Dish:
Moussaka is a classic Greek dish made with layers of eggplant, ground lamb or beef, and a rich tomato sauce. It is topped with a creamy béchamel sauce and baked until golden and bubbling. This dish is flavorful, hearty, and perfect for a comforting family meal.
|Ground lamb or beef||1 lb|
|Garlic, minced||3 cloves|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 oz|
|Tomato paste||2 tbsp|
|Red wine||1/2 cup|
|Ground nutmeg||1/4 tsp|
|All-purpose flour||1/4 cup|
|Grated Parmesan cheese||1/4 cup|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Sprinkle them with salt and let them sit for 15 minutes to draw out any bitterness. Rinse the eggplant slices and pat them dry.
- Step 2: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté until they are softened. Add the ground lamb or beef and cook until it is browned. Stir in the canned crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
- Step 3: In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the all-purpose flour to create a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 4: In a greased baking dish, arrange a layer of eggplant slices. Spoon a layer of the meat sauce over the eggplant, followed by a layer of the béchamel sauce. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of béchamel sauce on top. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Step 5: Bake the moussaka in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the dish is heated through. Allow it to cool slightly before serving.