About the Dish:
Moussaka is a classic Greek dish made with layers of eggplant, ground meat, and béchamel sauce. It is typically baked in the oven until golden and bubbly. The dish is rich in flavors and textures, with the silky béchamel sauce complementing the hearty meat and tender eggplant. Moussaka is a comfort food favorite that is perfect for a cozy dinner or a special occasion.
|Ground lamb or beef||1 pound|
|Garlic cloves, minced||3|
|Canned diced tomatoes||1 can (14.5 oz)|
|Tomato paste||2 tablespoons|
|Dried oregano||1 teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||1/4 cup|
|Black pepper||To taste|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||For frying|
- Step 1: Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Lightly salt both sides of the eggplant slices and let them sit for 30 minutes to draw out excess moisture. Rinse the slices and pat them dry.
- Step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the ground meat and cook until browned. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 3: In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to create a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large baking dish, arrange a layer of eggplant slices. Top with a layer of the meat mixture, then another layer of eggplant slices. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a layer of eggplant on top. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top.
- Step 5: Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the moussaka is golden and bubbly. Let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!