Bun Bo Hue
About the Dish:
Bun Bo Hue is a popular Vietnamese soup originating from the city of Hue. It is a spicy and flavorful dish that is loved for its combination of tender beef, aromatic broth, and various toppings. The broth is made by simmering beef bones, lemongrass, shrimp paste, and various spices for several hours, resulting in a rich and fragrant base. The soup is typically served with rice noodles, thinly sliced beef shanks, pork hocks, and pork blood cubes. Toppings such as bean sprouts, lime wedges, sliced banana blossoms, and herbs like mint and cilantro are added to enhance the flavors. Bun Bo Hue is a satisfying and hearty dish that is perfect for any time of the year.
|Beef Bones||2 lbs|
|Shrimp Paste||2 tbsp|
|Thinly Sliced Beef Shank||1 lb|
|Pork Hocks||2 pcs|
|Pork Blood Cubes||8 oz|
|Rice Noodles||1 lb|
|Bean Sprouts||1 cup|
|Sliced Banana Blossoms||1 cup|
- Step 1: In a large pot, add the beef bones and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour, skimming any impurities that rise to the surface. Remove the bones and rinse them under cold water to remove any excess scum.
- Step 2: In the same pot, add the cleaned bones back in along with the lemongrass and shrimp paste. Fill the pot with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for at least 4 hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Step 3: While the broth simmers, prepare the toppings and noodles. Thinly slice the beef shanks and set aside. Blanch the pork hocks in boiling water for 2 minutes, then remove and rinse. Cut the pork hocks into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
- Step 4: Once the broth has simmered for at least 4 hours, strain it to remove the bones, lemongrass, and shrimp paste. Return the broth to the pot and season with salt and sugar to taste.
- Step 5: To serve, divide the cooked rice noodles into bowls. Top with the sliced beef shanks, pork hocks, and pork blood cubes. Ladle the hot broth over the noodles and meats. Garnish with bean sprouts, lime wedges, sliced banana blossoms, mint, and cilantro.