About the Dish:
Galbi-jjim is a traditional Korean dish made with beef short ribs. The ribs are marinated in a flavorful sauce and then slow-cooked to perfection. The dish is known for its tender meat and rich, savory flavors. It is often served as a special occasion or holiday dish in Korea. Galbi-jjim is typically enjoyed with a side of rice and various Korean side dishes. The combination of the tender meat, sweet and savory sauce, and fragrant spices make Galbi-jjim a beloved dish in Korean cuisine. This recipe serves 4-6 people.
|Beef short ribs||3 pounds|
|Soy sauce||1/2 cup|
|Garlic cloves, minced||4|
|Ginger, grated||1 tablespoon|
|Asian pear, grated||1|
|Potatoes, peeled and quartered||4|
|Green onions, chopped||4|
|Sesame seeds||1 tablespoon|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, minced garlic, grated ginger, and grated Asian pear. Mix well to create the marinade.
- Step 2: Add the beef short ribs to the marinade and toss to coat. Let the ribs marinate for at least 1 hour, or overnight for best results.
- Step 3: Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). In a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and carrots, and cook until the onions are softened.
- Step 4: Remove the short ribs from the marinade and add them to the pot, discarding any excess marinade. Cook the ribs until browned on all sides.
- Step 5: Add enough water to the pot to cover the ribs. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the ribs simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Step 6: Add the quartered potatoes to the pot, cover, and continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Step 7: Transfer the ribs and vegetables to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
- Step 8: Serve the Galbi-jjim hot with steamed rice and Korean side dishes.