About the Dish:
Oladi are a traditional Russian breakfast dish similar to pancakes. They are made from a simple batter of flour, eggs, sugar, and buttermilk or kefir. Oladi are thicker and smaller than regular pancakes, and they have a slightly tangy taste from the buttermilk or kefir.
|Buttermilk or Kefir||1 cup|
|Baking Powder||1 tsp|
|Oil or Butter||for frying|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add the buttermilk or kefir. Mix well.
- Step 2: Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. The batter should be thick and lumpy.
- Step 3: Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and grease it with oil or butter. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet for each oladi. Cook until bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Step 4: Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Step 5: Serve the oladi warm with sour cream, jam, honey, or your favorite toppings. Enjoy!