About the Dish:
Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish made with layers of crispy phyllo pastry filled with a mixture of spinach, feta cheese, onions, and herbs. It is a popular appetizer or main dish, known for its rich flavors and crunchy texture.
|Phyllo pastry sheets||1 package|
|Spinach, frozen or fresh||500g|
|Feta cheese, crumbled||200g|
|Onion, finely chopped||1|
|Dill, chopped||1/4 cup|
|Olive oil||1/4 cup|
|Eggs, lightly beaten||2|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Step 2: Thaw the spinach if using frozen, or blanch fresh spinach until wilted. Drain and squeeze out excess moisture. Chop the spinach.
- Step 3: In a large bowl, mix together the spinach, crumbled feta cheese, chopped onion, chopped dill, olive oil, beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Step 4: Brush a baking dish with olive oil. Layer half of the phyllo pastry sheets in the dish, brushing each sheet with olive oil. Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the phyllo.
- Step 5: Layer the remaining phyllo pastry sheets on top of the spinach mixture, again brushing each sheet with olive oil. Brush the top sheet with olive oil.
- Step 6: Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the phyllo is golden brown and crispy.
- Step 7: Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Cut into squares or triangles and enjoy!