About the Dish:
Spanakopita is a Greek dish made with phyllo dough and a savory filling of spinach and feta cheese. It is a popular appetizer or main course, known for its crispy, flaky crust and flavorful interior. The dish originated in Greece and has since become a beloved dish in many other countries.
The filling for spanakopita is usually made with spinach, onions, garlic, feta cheese, and a combination of herbs and spices such as dill, parsley, and nutmeg. The mixture is then layered between thin sheets of phyllo dough, which are brushed with butter or olive oil to create a crispy and golden exterior.
Spanakopita is a versatile dish that can be served hot or cold. It can be enjoyed as an appetizer, served alongside other Greek dishes such as tzatziki and hummus, or as a main course with a side salad. The combination of spinach and feta cheese provides a delicious and satisfying flavor, making spanakopita a favorite among vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
|Phyllo dough||10 sheets|
|Butter||1/2 cup, melted|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Step 2: In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic, and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Step 3: Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Step 4: In a large bowl, crumble the feta cheese and add the cooked spinach mixture. Stir in the dill, parsley, and nutmeg. Mix well to combine.
- Step 5: Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean surface and brush with melted butter. Place another sheet on top and brush with butter. Repeat this process until you have layered 5 sheets of phyllo dough.
- Step 6: Spread the spinach and feta filling evenly over the layered sheets of phyllo dough.
- Step 7: Layer the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo dough on top of the filling, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Step 8: Use a sharp knife to cut the spanakopita into squares or triangles.
- Step 9: Transfer the spanakopita to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the phyllo dough is golden and crisp.
- Step 10: Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!