About the Dish:
Chiles Rellenos is a traditional Mexican dish made by stuffing roasted and peeled poblano peppers with cheese or meat, then frying them until golden and serving them with a rich tomato sauce. This dish is known for its bold flavors and comforting textures. The roasted peppers have a smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the creamy filling and tangy tomato sauce. It is a popular dish during festive occasions and family gatherings.
|Cheese (such as Oaxaca, Chihuahua, or Monterey Jack)||1 cup|
|All-Purpose Flour||1/2 cup|
|Vegetable Oil||for frying|
- Step 1: Roast the poblano peppers over an open flame or under a broiler until the skin is charred and blistered. Place the peppers in a plastic bag and let them steam for 10 minutes. Once cooled, peel off the skin and make a small slit on one side of each pepper to remove the seeds.
- Step 2: Stuff the peppers with cheese. Carefully insert the cheese into the peppers through the slit, making sure not to tear the peppers.
- Step 3: In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt. Dip each stuffed pepper into the beaten eggs, coating it evenly.
- Step 4: In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Fry the stuffed peppers until golden brown on all sides. Place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Step 5: In a blender, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and salt. Blend until smooth to make the tomato sauce.
- Step 6: Pour the tomato sauce into a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Step 7: Serve the Chiles Rellenos on a plate and drizzle them with the tomato sauce. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.