About the Dish:
Jollof Rice is a popular West African dish that is enjoyed by many. It is a flavorful rice dish cooked with tomatoes, onions, and a variety of spices. The dish is known for its vibrant red color and delicious taste. Jollof Rice is often served at special occasions and gatherings, and it is a staple in many Nigerian and Ghanaian households. This recipe provides a step-by-step guide on how to make this delicious dish.
|Red Bell Pepper||1|
|Chicken Stock||2 cups|
|Vegetable Oil||4 tablespoons|
|Curry Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Cayenne Pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
- Step 1: Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice and set aside.
- Step 2: Blend the tomatoes, onion, and red bell pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Step 3: Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the blended tomato mixture and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 4: Add the garlic, ginger, thyme, paprika, curry powder, cayenne pepper, and salt to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes to allow the spices to infuse into the tomato mixture.
- Step 5: Add the rice to the pot and stir well to coat it evenly with the tomato mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Step 6: Pour in the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and tender.
- Step 7: Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Step 8: Fluff the rice with a fork before serving. Jollof Rice can be enjoyed on its own or served with a variety of proteins such as grilled chicken or fish.