About the Dish:
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that is usually made with layers of eggplant, ground meat, and béchamel sauce. It is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a comforting family meal or special occasion. The dish is typically baked until golden and bubbly, creating a delicious combination of textures and flavors. Moussaka is often served with a side of Greek salad and fresh bread for a complete meal. This recipe yields six servings.
|2 eggplants, thinly sliced||2|
|1 lb ground beef||1|
|1 onion, chopped||1|
|2 cloves garlic, minced||2|
|1 can crushed tomatoes||1|
|1/2 cup red wine||1/2 cup|
|1 tsp dried oregano||1 tsp|
|1 cup grated Parmesan cheese||1 cup|
|2 cups milk||2 cups|
|1/4 cup flour||1/4 cup|
|1/4 cup butter||1/4 cup|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the sliced eggplants in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let them sit for about 30 minutes to remove excess moisture. Rinse the eggplants and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Step 2: In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, red wine, and dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk, cooking until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in the eggs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Step 4: In a greased baking dish, layer half of the sliced eggplants. Spread the meat mixture evenly over the eggplants. Add another layer of eggplants on top of the meat. Pour the sauce over the top layer of eggplants.
- Step 5: Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!