About the Dish:
Shepherd’s Pie is a classic English dish made with minced lamb or beef, topped with mashed potatoes and baked to perfection. It is a hearty and comforting meal that is perfect for cold winter nights. The bottom layer is made with succulent, flavorful meat that is cooked with onions, carrots, and peas in a rich gravy. The top layer is made with creamy mashed potatoes that are golden and crispy on top after baking. This dish is versatile and can be customized to suit your taste preferences by adding different herbs and spices. Shepherd’s Pie is a crowd-pleasing dish that is sure to satisfy your cravings for a warm and delicious meal.
|Minced lamb or beef||500g|
|Beef or vegetable broth||1 cup|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 tablespoons|
|All-purpose flour||4 tablespoons|
|Mashed potatoes||4 cups|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and diced carrots. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2: Add the minced lamb or beef to the skillet. Cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Drain any excess fat from the skillet.
- Step 3: In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in the all-purpose flour to create a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the flour is lightly browned.
- Step 4: Gradually whisk in the beef or vegetable broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Step 5: Add the peas to the skillet with the minced meat and vegetables. Pour the prepared sauce over the mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Step 6: Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top of the meat and vegetable mixture in the skillet. Use a fork to create a decorative pattern on the surface of the mashed potatoes.
- Step 7: Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the mashed potatoes are golden and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.