About the Dish:
İmambayıldı is a traditional Turkish dish made with eggplants, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. It is a vegetarian dish filled with rich flavors and aromas. The name imambayıldı translates to the imam fainted in English, and the dish is said to be so delicious that it caused the imam to faint with pleasure when he tasted it. This dish is often served as a main course and is enjoyed by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
|Olive oil||1/2 cup|
|Black pepper||To taste|
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and season with salt. Let them sit for 15 minutes, then rinse and pat dry.
- Step 2: In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add the tomatoes and cook until they release their juices.
- Step 3: Place the eggplant halves in a baking dish and fill each with the tomato mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, black pepper, and parsley.
- Step 4: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the eggplants are tender and golden brown.
- Step 5: Serve the İmambayıldı hot or at room temperature. It can be enjoyed on its own or with rice pilaf and a side salad.