About the Dish:
Karnıyarık is a traditional Turkish dish made with eggplant, minced meat, and tomatoes. The dish is known for its flavorful combination of ingredients and the tender texture of the eggplant. The name Karnıyarık translates to split belly in English, which refers to the preparation of eggplants by splitting them open and stuffing them with cooked meat mixture.
|Olive Oil||2 tbsp|
|Black Pepper||to taste|
- Step 1: Wash and dry the eggplants. Cut them in half lengthwise and make a deep incision lengthwise without cutting through the skin on the rounded side of each half.
- Step 2: Sprinkle salt on the cut sides of the eggplants and set them aside for about 30 minutes to sweat out any bitter juices. Rinse the eggplants and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Step 3: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add minced meat, chopped onion, and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook until the meat is browned and the onion is softened.
- Step 4: Add chopped tomatoes, parsley, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Cook for a few more minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Step 5: Stuff the cooked meat mixture into the eggplants by gently opening the incisions. Press down on the eggplants to flatten them slightly and create more space for the filling.
- Step 6: Place the stuffed eggplants in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 30-40 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender.
- Step 7: Serve hot with rice or bread. Enjoy your delicious Karnıyarık!