About the Dish:
Lamingtons are a classic Australian dessert consisting of squares of sponge cake coated in chocolate icing and rolled in desiccated coconut. They are a popular treat for morning or afternoon tea and are often served at parties and gatherings. The sponge cake is light and fluffy, while the chocolate icing adds a rich and sweet flavor. The coating of coconut provides a nice texture and adds a tropical touch to the overall taste. Lamingtons are a beloved Australian dessert and are enjoyed by people of all ages.
|Chocolate Icing||2 cups|
|Desiccated Coconut||2 cups|
- Step 1: Prepare the sponge cake by either baking it from scratch or using a store-bought one. Ensure that the cake is completely cooled before proceeding to the next step.
- Step 2: Cut the sponge cake into square pieces of your desired size. It is recommended to make them around 2 inches by 2 inches.
- Step 3: Place the desiccated coconut in a shallow bowl or dish. Set aside.
- Step 4: Prepare the chocolate icing by melting the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth and remove from heat.
- Step 5: Dip each sponge cake square into the chocolate icing, ensuring that all sides are evenly coated. Use a fork or a pair of tongs to lift the cake out of the icing and allow any excess to drip off.
- Step 6: Immediately roll the chocolate-coated sponge cake in the desiccated coconut, pressing gently to adhere the coconut to the icing. Repeat with the remaining sponge cake squares.
- Step 7: Place the coated lamingtons on a wire rack to set. Allow them to sit for at least 1 hour or until the chocolate icing has hardened.
- Step 8: Serve the lamingtons as is, or refrigerate them for a few hours before serving for an extra chilled treat. Enjoy!