About the Dish:
Bánh xèo is a Vietnamese savory pancake made with rice flour, turmeric, coconut milk, and a variety of fillings such as pork, shrimp, onions, and bean sprouts. The batter is cooked until crispy on the outside and filled with the flavorful ingredients. Bánh xèo is typically served with fresh lettuce, herbs, and a dipping sauce made with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic, and chili. This dish is popular in Vietnam and is loved for its combination of textures, flavors, and the interactive element of wrapping the pancake in lettuce leaves.
|Rice flour||1 cup|
|Coconut milk||1 cup|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Pork (thinly sliced)||200g|
|Shrimp (peeled and deveined)||200g|
|Bean sprouts||1 cup|
|Onion (thinly sliced)||1|
|Fresh herbs (such as mint, cilantro, and basil)||1 cup|
|Fish sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoons|
|Garlic (minced)||2 cloves|
|Red chili (sliced)||1|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, mix together the rice flour, coconut milk, turmeric powder, and a pinch of salt. Stir until well combined and smooth.
- Step 2: Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of oil. Add the thinly sliced pork and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 3: In the same skillet, add the sliced onions and cook until softened. Push the onions to one side of the skillet and add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp until pink and cooked through. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 4: Heat the skillet over medium-high heat and add a small amount of oil. Pour a ladleful of the batter into the skillet and swirl it around to cover the bottom of the skillet. Cook for a few minutes until the edges become crispy.
- Step 5: Add a handful of bean sprouts, cooked pork, cooked shrimp, and sliced onions on one side of the pancake. Fold the pancake in half over the filling and cook for another minute.
- Step 6: Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the remaining batter and filling ingredients.
- Step 7: Serve the bánh xèo with fresh lettuce leaves and herbs on the side. To eat, take a piece of the pancake, wrap it in a lettuce leaf along with some fresh herbs, and dip it in the fish sauce dipping sauce.