About the Dish:
Bánh Xèo is a Vietnamese dish that translates to sizzling cake in English. It is a savory pancake made from rice flour, coconut milk, and turmeric powder. The batter is cooked on a hot griddle, resulting in a crisp and golden exterior. The inside is filled with various ingredients such as pork, shrimp, bean sprouts, and mushrooms. Bánh Xèo is typically served with fresh herbs and a sweet and tangy dipping sauce, creating a flavorful and satisfying meal.
|Rice Flour||1 cup|
|Coconut Milk||1 cup|
|Turmeric Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Bean Sprouts||1 cup|
- Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice flour, coconut milk, turmeric powder, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth and let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Heat a non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium-high heat. Add a little oil to coat the pan. Pour a ladleful of the batter into the pan and swirl it around to cover the bottom.
- Step 3: Arrange some pork, shrimp, bean sprouts, and mushrooms on one half of the pancake. Fold the other half over the filling and let it cook for a few minutes until the bottom is crispy.
- Step 4: Flip the pancake over and cook for a few more minutes until both sides are crispy and golden brown. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter and filling.
- Step 5: Serve the Bánh Xèo hot with fresh herbs like Thai basil and cilantro. Dip each bite into the sweet and tangy dipping sauce for an explosion of flavors.