About the Dish:
Lamington is a classic Australian dessert made of sponge cake pieces dipped in chocolate icing and coated with desiccated coconut. It is often served with a layer of jam or cream in the middle. Lamingtons are popular during afternoon tea and special occasions in Australia.
|Chocolate Icing||2 cups|
|Desiccated Coconut||2 cups|
|Jam (optional)||1/2 cup|
|Cream (optional)||1/2 cup|
- Step 1: Cut the sponge cake into small square or rectangular pieces.
- Step 2: Prepare the chocolate icing by melting chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Step 3: Dip each sponge cake piece into the chocolate icing, making sure to coat all sides. Shake off any excess icing.
- Step 4: Roll the chocolate-coated sponge cake piece in desiccated coconut, pressing gently to adhere the coconut to the icing.
- Step 5: If desired, spread a layer of jam or cream between two lamington pieces to create a sandwich.
- Step 6: Repeat steps 3-5 with the remaining sponge cake pieces.
- Step 7: Place the lamingtons on a wire rack to set for a few hours before serving.