Poisson braisé avec alloco (Grilled fish with fried plantains)
About the Dish:
Grilled fish with fried plantains, also known as Poisson braisé avec alloco, is a popular dish in West African cuisine. This dish combines the smoky flavors of grilled fish with the sweetness and crispiness of fried plantains. The fish is marinated in a spicy and tangy mixture before being grilled to perfection, while the plantains are sliced and fried until golden brown. The combination of the tender fish and the crispy plantains creates a delightful contrast in textures. This dish is typically served with a side of spicy tomato sauce or a refreshing salad, making it a complete and satisfying meal. Enjoy the rich flavors and vibrant colors of this delicious West African dish!
|Fish fillet (such as tilapia or catfish)||2 fillets|
|Vegetable oil||For frying|
|Lemon juice||2 tablespoons|
|Garlic||3 cloves, minced|
|Ginger||1 teaspoon, grated|
|Cayenne pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
- Step 1: In a bowl, combine lemon juice, minced garlic, grated ginger, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix well to form a marinade.
- Step 2: Place the fish fillets in the marinade, ensuring they are fully coated. Let the fish marinate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Step 3: Preheat your grill to medium heat. Remove the fish fillets from the marinade and place them directly on the grill grates. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until the fish is cooked through and has a nice char.
- Step 4: While the fish is grilling, prepare the plantains. Peel the plantains and slice them into diagonal pieces, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Step 5: In a deep frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the plantain slices and fry them until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Step 6: Remove the fried plantains from the pan and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Step 7: Serve the grilled fish with the fried plantains. You can garnish the dish with some fresh herbs, such as cilantro or parsley, and serve it with a side of spicy tomato sauce or a refreshing salad.