Coq au Vin
About the Dish:
Coq au Vin is a classic French dish that combines chicken and red wine in a rich and flavorful sauce. The dish originated in the Burgundy region of France and has since become a staple in French cuisine. Traditionally, the dish is made with a whole chicken, but it can also be made with chicken pieces or even chicken thighs. The chicken is first marinated in red wine, along with other aromatics such as onions, carrots, garlic, and herbs. This helps to infuse the chicken with the flavors of the wine and makes it tender and juicy. After marinating, the chicken is browned in a skillet and then simmered in the marinade along with mushrooms and bacon. This creates a deliciously savory sauce that is perfect for drizzling over mashed potatoes or crusty bread. Coq au Vin is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for special occasions or a cozy Sunday dinner.
|Red wine||2 cups|
|Fresh thyme||2 sprigs|
- Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the chicken thighs, red wine, sliced onion, sliced carrots, minced garlic, and fresh thyme sprigs. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Step 2: Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 3: In the same skillet with the bacon fat, add the chicken thighs and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 4: Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook until they release their moisture and start to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 5: Add the reserved marinade to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes to cook off the alcohol. Return the chicken and bacon to the skillet, along with the mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Step 6: To serve, remove the chicken and mushrooms from the skillet and arrange on a platter. Spoon the sauce over the top. Serve with mashed potatoes or crusty bread.