Penne alla Vodka
About the Dish:
Penne alla Vodka is a popular Italian pasta dish that is cooked in vodka-infused tomato sauce. It is a creamy and flavorful dish that combines the tanginess of tomato sauce with the richness of cream and the warmth of vodka. The vodka not only adds a unique depth of flavor to the sauce but also helps to enhance the overall creaminess of the dish. This pasta dish is often enjoyed with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.
|Penne pasta||12 oz|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Onion, finely chopped||1|
|Garlic, minced||3 cloves|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||1 can (28 oz)|
|Red pepper flakes||1/2 tsp|
|Heavy cream||1/2 cup|
|Grated Parmesan cheese||1/4 cup|
|Fresh basil leaves, chopped||1/4 cup|
- Step 1: Cook the penne pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Step 2: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Step 3: Add the canned crushed tomatoes to the skillet and stir well. Season with red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 4: Remove the skillet from heat and carefully add the vodka. Return the skillet to the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes to let the alcohol cook off.
- Step 5: Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream. Cook the sauce for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 6: Add the cooked penne pasta to the skillet and toss well to coat the pasta evenly with the sauce.
- Step 7: Remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the pasta. Stir in the chopped fresh basil leaves.
- Step 8: Serve the Penne alla Vodka hot, garnished with additional Parmesan cheese and basil leaves if desired.