About the Dish:
Shepherd’s Pie is a classic comfort food dish originating from the United Kingdom. It consists of a meat filling (traditionally made with lamb, hence the name Shepherd’s Pie) topped with mashed potatoes. The dish is typically baked until the mashed potatoes form a golden crust on top, creating a hearty and delicious meal.
|Ground Lamb||1 pound|
|Beef or Vegetable Stock||1 cup|
|Worcestershire Sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Mashed Potatoes||4 cups|
- Step 1: In a large skillet, brown the ground lamb over medium heat. Remove the lamb from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 2: In the same skillet, sauté the diced onion and carrots until they begin to soften. Add the peas and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Step 3: Return the browned lamb to the skillet and pour in the beef or vegetable stock. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Step 4: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Step 5: Transfer the lamb and vegetable mixture to a baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top, using a fork to create a decorative pattern if desired.
- Step 6: Dot the mashed potatoes with small pieces of butter.
- Step 7: Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes are golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Step 8: Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!